Augustinians International at a Glance
WHO WE ARE
Augustinians International is a worldwide religious group of the Roman Catholic Church. We are based on the life and philosophy of St. Augustine. Throughout the world we are often simply called Augustinians, though our official name within the UN system is Curia Generalizia Agostiniana. We promote human, cultural and social development through education, training, development assistance, empowerment, protection of human rights and awareness building. Drawing on our core charism of community, our organization seeks above all things a unity of voices, in love and truth, of all advocates and agents for justice, peace, right and development of all humanity and the world’s environment.
WHERE WE ARE
Augustinians International itself is present in more than 47 countries and on five continents. With the extended family of all those who commit themselves to living the spirit of Augustine, we are present in almost every country on earth.
WHAT WE DO
Augustinians International works to promote equitable sharing of earth’s resources, protection of the rights of all, especially the most vulnerable including women and children and their empowerment through education, safety and protection, through business opportunities, family and societal support and through health services. With the privilege of our association with the United Nations Department of Public Information (UN DPI), we are able to share more broadly all our activities throughout the community of nations.
- Through advocacy on behalf of the marginalized of society, we engage actors and institutions in society to make decisions of a public nature and interest aimed at building a just, fair and solidarity-based society.
- Through education, we seek to empower citizens so as to enable them to pursue their personal fulfilment and contribute to the development of their societies.
- Through various humanitarian aids, we provide for the immediate relief of people in their various needs.
- Through dissemination of information, we raise awareness about the purpose of the UN, teaching about the work the UN does through its agencies in promoting peace, dialogue and development in the many countries of the world,
- Through giving voice to the voiceless, we bring the marginalized directly into the policy debates in the Community of Nations
THE HISTORY OF THE AUGUSTINIANS AT THE UNITED NATIONS
THE PHILOSOPHY THAT GUIDES US – THE SPIRIT THAT IMPELLS US
In our work for global solidarity and integral development, we are guided by the conviction that the resources of the earth are sufficient to care for the needs of all if fairly and respectfully used. We are also guided by the conviction that the right of all to integral development includes preservation of everyone’s dignity.
We are committed to follow more faithfully Augustine’s spirit in his inspiring teachings on social life
that we live on three levels of community—the household, the city and the whole world (City of God XIX:7),
that we foster and honor collaboration between the City of God and the human, earthly city as a proper and necessary outlook (City of God XIX:17),
and that we carry on Augustine’s piercing social analysis (City of God IV:3, 4) as basis for immediate charity for those in need and structural change for a more just society.